Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You are my favorite...warden? dictator? demon spawn?

Jabberwock and I like to go on walks around our neighborhood together. Sometimes he'll even hold my hand. Yesterday, as we were walking along, I told him (as I often do) that he is my favorite Jabber.

Me: I love you, sweetie. You are my favorite Jabber in the whole world.
J: (squeezes my hand) And you are my favorite...uh...my favorite...hmm...
Me: (remembering all the arguments of the day) Your favorite mom?
J: (very quickly) No. Not my favorite mom. My favorite...person who...
Me: I'm not your favorite mom?
J: Nooooo...you're my favorite...person who tells me...
Me: (nervously) Your favorite what?
J: You are my favorite...person who teaches me. You're my favorite teacher, Mom. 'Cause all mom's are teachers, you know.

Whew! I'm not sure if he was thinking philosophically, like how the role of motherhood is one of teaching and guiding, or if he just thinks that all moms teach school in their spare time, but it was sweet, either way.

And much better than what I thought he might say!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a compliment from your little guy! And isn't it wonderful.. A mom is a child's first teacher.
Lisa