Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eek.

I just did something possibly stupid. Possibly brave. Or possibly just a non-issue. I emailed a copy of my current novel query letter to the blog of the Query Shark to be possibly critiqued. It may make me feel like an idiot. Or it may give me some really valuable advice. Or it may make me so angry I write a much better query letter. Or it may not even get critiqued. Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Now I'm off to work on my new short story, getting it all ready to submit. Also, I'm going to spend some time searching through Agent Query and updating my handy little color-coded spreadsheet, making a list of agents I'm going to query next. So far, I'm getting a nice little collection of rejection slips/emails, but that's okay. I know it's normal to get rejected a lot, and given the fact that agents are often receiving upwards of 100 queries a week or more, I don't feel like it's that personal, either. Still, I feel like I've been writing and revising my query letter so many times I can't quite tell if I'm currently making it better or worse, so I thought why not? I'll give the Query Shark a chance to pick it apart. Janet's critique doesn't scare me as much as the comments thread, though. Eek.

No comments: