Friday, May 30, 2008

Old Lady Liss

Last night I went to a party. Partying is not something that this busy teacher and mom of two small boys gets to do every night, especially with a husband who has to go to work every morning at 3:30 am. As the hostess of said party told everyone, "Elissa's even here, and Elissa never goes anywhere!" It's true. If I'm to be completely honest, I wasn't much of a partier even before the kiddos, but whatever. At least I used to leave the house socially from time to time with my husband. (My husband, however, did not get to attend the fiesta with me. Super sad.)

The party was delightful.


There was a pinata bashing. The party's guest of honor, our current Spanish teacher who is leaving our school to teach the elementary, broke the first pinata stick into three pieces. Then, she finished it off with a metal cane. She narrowly avoided impaling a neighbor girl on the backswing, but demolished the pinata and set free a bunch of chocolate. Nothing better.



Unless it was the variety of yummy margaritas, mixed up with awesome Bayfield raspberries, strawberries, or straight-up lime. Mmmmmm.



Maybe the array of tasty dishes--muy rico! (No photos available of the amazing food...only my husband ever remembers to take pictures of the food, and like I said, he was home doing the dirty work of raising our children while I was off partying.)



Or it could even be the sombreros we all wore. Que divertido!

But the best part of the evening was the terrific conversation, light-hearted and companionable, from my co-workers and friends. From teasing our hostess about her bullying people to come to the party ("Oh, come on! What do you have to do that's so important? No way, you're going to miss MY PARTY for THAT???") to "drunk-dialing" other co-workers (and almost the boss!) to giving the math teacher a hard time about his new girlfriend, I laughed so much my cheeks were sore.

The new girlfriend, however, did not want to socialize with "a bunch of old teachers," which point was emphasized when talk turned to starting a bridge club and debating the difficulty levels of the crossword puzzles on various days of the week. Yeah. I was feeling pretty smug, being neither a bridge player nor a crossword pro.

That smugness has dissipated a bit, as I sit here writing my blog post, glued to the television, watching...is it American Idol? Nooooo...not exactly. What supercool program has Elissa been watching, so avidly that she had to actually go put her contacts back in in order to better see the screen? Er, the National Spelling Bee, of course. Damn, those kids are amazing!

I think I may need to get out more.

7 comments:

Jen said...

my my Liss. you're such a party girl! :P

The Finn Family said...

Yay! I'm glad you got out for some FUN!

Mary's List said...

I am having a huge chuckle reading this. The pictures are great. I'm pretty sure, however, that the hostess did not say, Elissa, never goes anywhere." She may have been thinking it but you know...

Elissa J. Hoole said...

The hostess may not remember saying it...(blackout, perhaps?) Ha!

ellieiscool said...

Muchisimas gracias para la fiesta.

I giggled as I recalled the great humor, food, and friends. I think it safe to say, 'don't mess with a blindfolded woman yielding 1/4 round molding.'

KrisA said...

As an attendee of the party, I would like to thank the voice of reason who stopped the drunk dialing... and to those of you who will never actually mention it at our place of work. Now, if I could just remember who the voice of reason was...

Elissa J. Hoole said...

Hmmm...somebody's reading my blog at work! Busted!!! (Oh, wait. I'm responding at work.) Well, I could tell you who the voice of reason *wasn't*!